TITLE: Misfit in Love (Saints and Misfits, #2)
AUTHOR: S.K. Ali
PUBLISHER: Salaam Reads
RELEASE DATE: May 25th, 2021
GENRE(S): YOUNG ADULT FICTION–Contemporary, Romance
In this fun and fresh sequel to Saints and Misfits, Janna hopes her brother’s wedding will be the perfect start to her own summer of love, but attractive new arrivals have her more confused than ever.
Janna Yusuf is so excited for the weekend: her brother Muhammad’s getting married, and she’s reuniting with her mom, whom she’s missed the whole summer.
And Nuah’s arriving for the weekend too.
Sweet, constant Nuah.
The last time she saw him, Janna wasn’t ready to reciprocate his feelings for her. But things are different now. She’s finished high school, ready for college…and ready for Nuah.
It’s time for Janna’s (carefully planned) summer of love to begin—starting right at the wedding.
But it wouldn’t be a wedding if everything went according to plan. Muhammad’s party choices aren’t in line with his fiancée’s taste at all, Janna’s dad is acting strange, and her mom is spending more time with an old friend (and maybe love interest?) than Janna.
And Nuah’s treating her differently.
Just when things couldn’t get more complicated, two newcomers—the dreamy Haytham and brooding Layth—have Janna more confused than ever about what her misfit heart really wants.Janna’s summer of love is turning out to be super crowded and painfully unpredictable.
- Love Story (Taylor’s Version)
- Helpless -Hamilton Soundtrack
- You Are in Love – Taylor Swift
- Mr. Perfectly Fine (Taylor’s Version)
- Paper Rings – (Taylor’s Version)
- Let’s Get Married- Bleachers
- Nobody Compares to You- Gryffin, Katie Pearlman
- Chale Jaise Hawaien – KK,Vasundhura Das
- Personal-Against the Current
- Running-Red Velvet
- Stand by You -Rachel Platten
- Fight Song- Rachel Platten
- Better Place-Rachel Platten
- happier- Olivia Rodrigo
- good 4 u -Olivia Rodrigo
- i’m just a kid- Simple Plan
- enough for you -Olivia Rodrigo
- I Like Me Better- LAUV
- Begin Again-Taylor Swift
- Baddhu Sa Mann- Amaal Malik, Armaan Malik
- Al-Burdah -Mesut Kurtis
- This One’s for the Girls-Martina McBride
- In Too Deep-Sum 41
- Still Got Time -ZAYN, PARTYNEXTDOOR
Thank you SO much to Turn the Pages for a copy of this book! I’m going to keep this spoiler-free for now, because there’s no way to hide spoilers on WordPress. This book is beautiful and heartbreaking. I absolutely LOVED this book. Although it can be read as a stand-alone I recommend reading S.K. Ali’s books in this order: Saints & Misfits, Love From A to Z, and Misfit in Love. One of my favorite moments was seeing Adam and Zeyneb interact with one another. The character development is phenomenal and I love reading about how far Janna has come. She’s still learning but what I love about Janna is how she fights for what she believes in and stands up to any injustices. I resonate with Janna and Zeyneb a lot (more specifically Zeyneb) and S.K. Ali has a beautiful way of representing a diverse community. One of the major themes in this book is tackling racism within your own family and it was so well-written. All of the characters are flawed and loveable (with the exception of Janna’s Dad- not a major spoiler). You can also check out my interview with S.K. Ali for Pop-Culturalist here. If you’d like to stay updated on when I post online, my links can be found here.
Top 10 Favorite quotes from MIL
- “The couple requests donations to Islamic Relief USA in lieu of gifts.”
- “Team Dad and Janna only lasted so long, though.”
- “Why did you only ask your son? What about what our daughter has to say?” Sarah: “That would be nice too.” Sarah’s Mom to Sarah: “But you didn’t ask us!”
- “But then what happens next? My only plan is to go as far as telling him tomorrow before the henna party, before all the guest arrive.”
- “Mom turns to him, and her entire face lits up.”
- “He got here early. Today. For me.”
- “I hated chaperoning you guys.”
- “He tips his head back like he’s caught and allows a smile, again an actual smile, to take over his face. And then he laughs.”
- “Too bad for Muhammad this wedding is going to turn into a little war.”
- “This girl. She’s one of those rare people who you can actually soak sunshine from.”
This moodboard can also be found on my bookstagram account @meetcuteromancebooks.
About the author
S. K. Ali is the author of Saints and Misfits, winner of the 2018 APALA Honor award, the 2017 Middle East Book Honor Award, and a 2018 William C. Morris Award finalist. Her second novel, LOVE FROM A TO Z, a story about finding love in the time of Islamophobia, was an Entertainment Weekly Top Ten Young Adult Book of 2019. She also has a picture book co-authored with Team USA Olympic Medalist, Ibtihaj Muhammad, THE PROUDEST BLUE, which debuted on the New York Times bestseller list. Releasing on May 5, 2020 is ONCE UPON AN EID, an anthology of joyful stories by 15 Muslim creatives, edited by S. K. Ali and Aisha Saeed. She lives in Toronto with her family, which includes a very vocal cat named Yeti. Find her on twitter at https://twitter.com/SajidahWrites, on instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skalibooks/ and on her website at https://skalibooks.com/.
Check out the other stops on the tour down below!